Boy oh Boy, April has been a productive month thus far! Not only did I tackle and succeed (after some missteps) in making some challenging curved blocks for Diane (random thoughts…do or “di”: Me Bee-ing Sewcial) in our Bee Sewcial group, I made something with my new serger for the first time and as we speak I am in the process of dying some fabrics (a first for me and next time I need to remember to keep the gloves on the whole time. Call me Ms. Blue Hands.), I started the month off finishing some gifts for a dear quilting friend and her gorgeous daughters. I made a dress up using some linen, vintage lace and even used my serger to make finished edges. I knit together a sweater from FrogTree Bamboo/Wool yarn in the Wallaby 10 ply pattern (Ravelry: Wallaby 10ply pattern by Georgie Hallam) and made up a sweatshirt using a washcloth and fabric scraps in a combined machine and hand appliquéd technique. The book, Sew Adorable (Sew Adorable: Classic Clothes for Boys and Girls: Vanessa Mooncie: 9781861089311: Amazon.com: Books) from which the dress pattern came was the gift for Mama. When I see people, I often see them in terms of colors and my friend is all about blues so I channeled the turquoise variety in her gifts. They were very fun projects. I am gratefully in the middle of some collaborations with artist friends. One of my friends gave me a vinyl copy of one of her mixed media paintings to play with. I combined pieces from it with some donated repurposed leather and made them into a folded clutch of my design with another topstitched Lonestar. In the repurposing arena I also transformed a painted canvas left over from a Musical Chairs Painting Party into a simple clutch. You guys, this was soooo easy and easily done on a traditional machine. I think a tutorial may be coming up for a few of these techniques in the future. And of course, I had to work on my Bee Sewcial blocks for the month. I was actually feeling a little cocky about the mission we were given. Diane asked us to incorporate curves into our blocks with a fun color palate that asked for a sliver of black. I have done so much curved piecing over the last year, I thought this would be an easy month but man it took me several attempts to get the blocks I wanted. In the end, I think they will go well with the other pieces made by my stellar bedmates. (I came back to edit when I almost choked on my coffee reading my typo but had to keep the original for giggles. I meant BEEMATES not BEDMATES. Yikes. Haha) Cheers, Hillary
I quilted up The Backstory Quilt today. It is on it’s way to one of the only girl babies (and her mama) in my sphere. I loved using the back of the Kaffe Fassett fabric so much for parts of the front that I flipped the fabric over for the back and the binding. It is so soft and girlie. I quilted it in straight lines following the rectangular shape of the quilt.
This quilt was small enough I was able to display it from the mantel in our bedroom. My husband has designed and made most of the wood furniture in our house as well as both our fireplace mantels and the vanity in our bathroom. A few years ago when we were remodeling part of the house I drew a picture of the mantel that I wanted and he constructed this for me. So grateful for my guy.
I am slowly making progress on baby gifts for friends. Today I finished a 2 year old sized boy sweater using Malabrigo Arroyo in Glitter.(pattern here:http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pull-gaspard) This pattern is well engineered and knit up quickly (though it took some concentrating especially around the neck line to get it right). The big pocket will be perfect for storing toddler treasures.
Since it is Valentine’s Day, I tried adding one of my handmade linen boutonnieres. (Linen Flower tutorial here: https://entropyalwayswinsblog.com/2013/10/20/linen-rosebud-flower-tutorial/ )
Only 6 more babies and mommas to knit and sew for.
I think I’m done with red for a bit.
I finished quilting up my simple triangle baby quilt (https://entropyalwayswinsblog.com/2014/01/16/a-modern-baby-quilt-top/) and have packaged it up along with a bag for mom (https://entropyalwayswinsblog.com/2014/01/18/a-momma-bag/) and Rufus the dog (https://entropyalwayswinsblog.com/2014/01/10/introducing-rufus/) for baby. I did some simple geometric quilting for the quilt and used a vintage cotton/linen fabric for the back.
PASTELS, HERE I COME!
Last night I finished this bag for a new momma. It matches the baby quilt top and stuffed dog I already made. Just need to find time to quilt the baby quilt and the gifts will be on their way. Hopefully this momma likes the color red.